View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #74
Quadriflax
cows are my friends...

I've done enough reading on the topic to determine that StarForce is something I want no part of. Even if I haven't had (or at least detected) any problems when it installed with Still Life and the Earned in Blood demo, I have a real problem with something installing it's own drivers like that. Call me ignorant if you will, but I have my reasons for believing this is a strange, if not serious violation of security and trust.

That said, I removed both programs and ran the uninstall program linked from the StarForce webpage. I'm mostly worried about the slow degrading effects it could have on my DVDRW drive (though I'm not fully sure I understand how and why it happens). Is uninstalling the drivers enough to prevent possible damage to my drive, or does StarForce have the ability to stick around and mess with things even after it's been removed with the official program? Am I safe, or do I need to do anything else? My previous searches on the net have not really answered this question either way, so I thought I'd consult those more knowledgeable than I.