View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #32
CrimsonBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Well it was very doubtful that they would get it first time
What im dissapointed in is theyre not going to bother working on improving it, theyve just given up on the first try
And i agree with what sam said, the way cecil spoke about BS3 makes me wonder about this descission...

Just wondering...if anyone here who was among the '85%' that complained, what was it about direct control that was so bad in BS3? I had no trouble with the controls while playing the game

For me it wasnt the UI that made Adventure games adventures
And i can only speak for myself here but my complaints are that there are not many Adventure games now a days

And its just as easy to put a crate puzzle in a Point and click game
You know, it's dangerous to use percentages and numbers in any discussion nowadays, because the "opposition" always seems to require some documented proof. Noone seems to understand that using numbers the way I did is just meant to be my own impression on how things are. 90% of a discussion is/are pure speculation and/or assumptions, and proof is in most cases nowhere to be found. Oops, I did it again. No I don't have a document that proves that estimated number, but again - it tells you a little about my own impressions.

Anyway, about the assumption they didn't care to develop the control-system from BS3 is, well, an assumption. We could also speculate that they've been trying to make the system work, but in the end it didn't seem to give them the results they needed to get the game out in time. Spending 5 years on developing an engine for a game that's going to sell less copies than Katamari Damacy or ICO isn't a bright idea on the economics side of things. And we could also speculate that they didn't get the results they wanted, but continue to develop while doing BS4 in a more traditional style, so they can release it faster. The genre isn't viable for projects that takes 3-5 years without releasing anything meanwhile, and while I don't really wish for it, BASS2 could be the first game that uses a proper direct control system because they had enough time to develop and perfect it.