View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 07:57 AM   #40
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mira
Tbh I am not overly that angry about the cartoon. I only thought it was distasteful and offensive, that's all. I'm only questioning the reason it came about in the first place, that's all.
Speaking from a country where political cartoons are commonplace...

As AJ said, you can't manage to avoid offending everyone... the pertinent question is how many people you want to avoid offending.

Every newspaper or magazine that posts political cartoons - which are intended to make people think about political (and sometimes religious) topics in a critical light, and thus are going to be at least somewhat uncomfortable to read if you like whatever they're criticizing - draws its "offensive" line somewhere. If you draw the line in such a way to try to avoid offending anyone you lose the ability to make any real commentary. So you're going to end up offending *somebody* to some degree if you want to be able to make a point.

Now granted, I have no idea how they treat this sort of commentary in other countries, but that's at least an attempt to explain why newspapers might post cartoons that could potentially be construed as offensive.

Did the Danish newspaper draw its "offensive" line in the wrong place? Possibly, I haven't seen the cartoons in question yet. (Time to go Wikinews-diving!) So you write letters to the editor, or boycott the newspaper, or something peaceful of that ilk, telling the newspaper how you think they majorly screwed up this time. If people are in fact really getting violent over this, and/or criticizing anyone other than the newspaper and the cartoonist, well, those people really, really need to get a grip (on something other than a weapon, that is).

Peace & Luv (!), Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."