View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 06:47 AM   #767
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

The last 'movie' I watched was the new Battlestar Galactica pilot/mini/whatevur...

I've no idea how to rate it, because I need to rate it off-scale somewhere. I don't think I've ever enjoyed something I was a sceptic about at first, and which dwelves in a realm where my brain is saturated in already (sci-fi shows), so darn much.

I remember the debates about fantasy/sci-fi now and how 'Space Odyssee' would be "the only real sci-fi" looking at movies and so on. I'm starting to understand these people a bit, because Battlestar Galactica kind of woke me a bit... it feels sci-fi, whereas, for example, Star Trek: Voyager (which I love to pieces) would never feel that way.

I realise this new Battlestar Galactica has been torn to shreds (mostly by fans of the original, by the looks of things, but that aside) by reviews on places like IMDB. One main gripe was that Battlestar Galactica were too boring, involved too little action. Well, that's where I find it's entire strength lies... the entire time is spent more feeling emotional tension, rather than indulging in excess space fights.

What I also very much enjoy, though that seems to be Battlestar Galactica in general (I've never seen the original), is that what one sees is defensive space skirmishes - this is about losing, not about winning.

It does have the occasional flaw (not to mention the occasional discontinuity goof), and I suppose that might ruin it for one or the other person... I found them to be too sparse to bother me... if I hadn't read about the goofs, I would not have noticed them (even in knowing, I didn't pick up on some I possibly should have).

Mood - awesome.
Camera - awesome.
Acting - decent to awesome, depending on whom you watch.
Plot - awesome.
Realism - feels a ton more real than any sci-fi show I've seen so far, even though the rules of physics are occasionally slaughtered (missile trails in space, for example).

Reviews on IMDB that would best describe my opinion:
Some of the anti-BSG2003 complaints are just crazy, 12 October 2004
Some People Just Do Not Understand, 14 December 2003
An unbias review, 21 April 2003

Notably, I would not agree with the titles of the first two in that I think if people don't like it, I may not understand them... but maybe they're just looking for something else.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™