View Single Post
Old 02-04-2006, 05:02 AM   #24
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I've tried to approach this issue by looking at what I would do in response to people creating similar images attacking Christianity (as I'll happily admit to being the church-going sort). And I seriously can't get worked up to the extent that people seem to have done over these images.

I'm certainly not saying that they're tasteful, and I'm certainly not saying that I specifically support the idea of creating them, but I will happily advocate free speech. And just as I don't personally get insulted by watching The Life of Brian or Jerry Springer: The Opera, so too I wish that people would realise that this is all just a joke - albeit a tasteless one - and move on. After all, atheists tell me regularly that any form of religion is stupid, but that doesn't mean that I want to attack every atheist I ever meet...

So, to summarise:

These images - tasteless
The burning-flags, gun-toting reation in Muslim communities - equally hard to justify.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.