View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #62
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
Yes, but, you see, there's this thing called anti-virus software that most smart people have installed... (and I like to think of myself as being at least normally functional in the intelligence department)
Hate to break it for you, but once you actually RUN a local .exe, no anti-virus software will ever be able to save you from whatever that program is going to do. Anti virus software is mainly there to prevent you from clicking on it. Winrar could ruin your hard drive every time you unpack something.

Quote:
Yes. And obviously you can get burned eventually... witness the whole WMF debacle, for instance. Nothing is 100% perfect and foolproof and risk-free. But, yeah, the fact that thousands of users have used it and there's been no major reports of serious problems is in its favor.
Well, give Starforce the same favor then, because thousands of people have used it without encountering any serious problems. At least for the latest versions.

Quote:
Not *yet*. But there have been many reports of people getting burned by previous versions. I'm still going to be wary for a while.
I'd stop using Windows right here, right now, because Windows 95 destroyed a lot more computers than Starforce ever will .