View Single Post
Old 02-03-2006, 09:28 AM   #50
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Phantom:

If that's true, then it's all the more important to make sure it doesn't cause problems, isn't it? (Since lots of game companies would be likely to use it.)

I'd also point out that the fact that people have to disable their CD and DVD drives to get cracked versions working just lends more credence for me to idea that StarForce might possibly bork up one's drives even when you're not trying to get around it, but, anyhoo.

More food for thought...

I came up with what I hope is a good example the other day.

StarForce is essentially a program that the company asks you to install on your computer for the sole purpose of helping them out, which does nothing for you at all.

So, what other company has had something like that? Opera! For those not sufficiently versed in alternative browsers, the Opera web browser used to be ad-supported, in that the free version showed you banner or Google ads. The ads didn't do very much for you, but showing them helped out Opera.

Now, I remember back when there were quite a few people accusing Opera of being spyware. Not an entirely unfair thing to worry about... in this day of rampant malware and tracking cookies, people get a little paranoid about a program that shows them ads.

Did Opera go around making threat letters and counter-accusations? Not that I know of. I do remember several forum and blog posts being made in various discussions *explaining* to the askers/accusers, in a civil manner, why they felt Opera was not spyware.

They also...

Made a webpage response.

And made a technical description of their ad-passing protocol.

And another technical description of the ad component itself.

And a webpage explaining the Google ads.

IOW, anyone who was worried about Opera being spyware had a fair bit of official technical info they could pore over and evaluate to decide for themselves. And while lots of people griped over the ads for various other reasons until the day Opera did away with them, I don't remember the whole "Opera is spyware!" accusation ever gaining serious ground.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."