Thread: Gamism theory
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
Well, I think that it's not a good idea in any respect to try to pin down complex things as games with a series of tules or statements. There will always be exceptions, and more exceptions, and even more. Even though I can't think of clear examples at this point, I'm sure there are games that are complex without a story being the only defining feature (in the case you mentioned, I would strongly argue that the story is JUST AS MUCH copied from game to game as are the backdrops, the fighting systems etc. Come on, if any of the elements of the game; stories are the most cliched and hackneyed around. Almost every single Japanese RPG features the lonely boy who saw his village burned down going on a quest to stop an evil ruler. How can you say this is any different than evere JRPG taking a slight variation of a fighting system? It's exactly the same!).
When I said that the primary content should be changed from game to game, this was of course a matter of my personal values. The fact that there are so many RPGs on the market with cookie-cutter stories doesn't make stories any less primary: it just makes the current philosophy of JRPGs rather tragic. I see no problem whatsoever in reusing a battle system, or an art style, or world design, or characters, or control from one RPG to the next. But when I see that the story is being rehashed, I stop playing. I don't know whether anyone else will agree with me here; as always, I can only speak for myself and from my own experience.