Thread: Going to...
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 10:07 PM   #58
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarejawhero
Eating here is real good - went to a sit down resteraunt last night where the table looks really small with pillows, but underneath it there's a hole dug out for your legs. The top was a hotplate to cook your food...
We have restaurants like that here in the States, too. There was this Korean girl I knew in art school, her parents owned a restaurant in Lakeview (north side neighbourhood in Chicago), and all of us friends from school went there frequently to dine on Korean food. It had private dining rooms that featured tatami mats and sliding rice paper screens, and you had to take your shoes off to enter (woe is he who has a hole in his socks or smelly feet). But the floor under the low table was sunken. Still, I sat with my legs folded (we Asians can do that far more easily than you Occidents) whenever we all gathered for dinner. Built into the tables are stoves for when you order raw beef slices and you cook it yourselves.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien