View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
As a comedy, it is. IMO.
Eh, maybe, but the overall form of The General is perfection I think, for what it is. Remember, it's not supposed to be as filled with crazy gags and stuff as other Keaton films. In fact, when Keaton first began discussing the production of the film, other people were trying to come up with crazy Keaton antics and jokes to pull off and Keaton shook his head and said, "This has to be so real it hurts."

This was his epic. His personal favorite of his movies and he was striking a delicate balance. His other pictures are far more obvious comedies. This one is a balance of comedy and realism. A farce set against a Civil War backdrop so convincing that it looks like the photographs of Matthew Brady come to life. The challenge was the balancing act, and Keaton pulled it off. It just floors me, that's all I can say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Keep in mind that I've seen only four his movies in total, though, so I'm a relative noob, really.
Wow, please see Sherlock Jr. if you haven't yet. It's absolutely fantastic. To me it's one of the best ways to spend 45 minutes. Phenomenal special effects, all done in-camera, and terrific stunts.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 01-25-2006 at 05:44 PM.