View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #18
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
OH is overrated? The General is, by far, THE Keaton film which gets mentioned on all critics favourites lists, makes it to IMDB Top 250, gets an enhanced DVD release etc. If any of us is jumping on the locomotive bandwagon here, it is you, Mister.

Our Hospitality is a tighter, more streamlined, comedy. The scene where the main character tries everything to stay at his nemesis' home is a pinnacle of the movie, and a classic example how farce and physical comedy should be done. The General made me chuckle many times, but the action bits, while breathtaking in their own right (at least taking time of the release into consideration), make it seem disjointed. I don't want to see Buster as some kind of superhero who saves the day, unless he does it by chance. And here, despite the burlesque spin on things, I felt they tried to force him into an archetype of the Brave American Soldier (yes, I know he was actually an engineer) a bit too hard. Then again, maybe it's my bias against war movies showing, chasing me even here.
If you have a bias against any type of film then a serious debate cannot be had with you. Just kidding...

Our Hospitality is tighter and more streamlined? I don't agree. I would admit that The General isn't Buster's funniest film, but I think the critic who said, "It's not Buster at his funniest, but it's Buster at his most inspired," is right on the money. I also agree with Orson Welles and everyone else who says it's the Civil War movie in terms of period detail and accuracy. "A hundred times more stunning visually than Gone With the Wind," according to Welles.

Anyway, I say Our Hospitality is overrated not because it has a greater reputation than The General (it doesn't, as you said), but rather because it is considered by many people to be Keaton's second or third best picture, which is too close to a masterpiece like The General for me to stomach. Sherlock Jr., on the other hand, I can see not only being called Keaton's best short film, but also his best or second best film, period. I simply can't see that with Our Hospitality. Too many of the characters look and act absurd. The climax is great stuff, and there are other classic bits, but as a whole the film can't match the energy and flow (almost like music in my view) of The General.

Also, the action sequences in The General are brilliant even without taking the time of release into consideration. You just don't see stuff like this anymore. Today it would all be done with quick cuts and other effects to try and create excitement from nothing. Buster did it all for real, with a camera on another train running alongside so you get the full effect of the motion and action in long takes. I've never seen better, more thrilling train sequences in any film.

Plus, I don't see Keaton's Johnny Gray as being a "Brave American Soldier" at all. He's trying to impress the girl he loves, how timeless is that motive? It's endearing really. He doesn't have the means to stop these enemy soldiers, but he keeps chasing them to save both his loves (the girl and the General) regardless. It's almost all by chance that he succeeds too, did we watch the same film?
Spoiler:
What about the canon that he accidentally ends up aiming at his own train? He was done for until the track curved and the canon ended up firing at the other train. Also, he's portrayed as the most inept swordsman ever, but he kills an enemy soldier by sheer luck when he raises his arm and the blade comes loose, flying through the air. And what about the canon at the end? He fires it straight upward by accident and as he's running for his life, the canon ball happens to land on the dam, flooding the opposing army. It is all by chance...

I can't name a significant flaw in this film...

EDIT: I should add that I've realized how important the musical score for a silent film can be! It's crazy, really. The difference between a great bit and a mediocre bit can be the music, it's true. I found that out today because Hisaishi's new score, though quite good, doesn't capture the pace and humor of The General. It's good music, but it's not good music for The General. AFGNCAAP do you recall which score you viewed The General with? There are four that I know of. The Carl Davis score, the Robert Israel score, the Alloy Orchestra score, and now the Joe Hisaishi score. I've heard that the Alloy Orchestra score is terrible. I myself like the Robert Israel accompaniment. I've never heard the Carl Davis score, but I've heard nice things about it.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 01-25-2006 at 12:24 PM.