View Single Post
Old 01-18-2006, 03:32 PM   #39
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
You should have seen Larry King Live the other evening. There were these two conservative Christian authorities lambasting it left right and right. It was pathetic. They had NOTHING else to go by except their twisted interpretations in the Bible. There were even calls from across the country from moms defending their love for their gay sons and how their families are so much closer together because of the openness, and these two Christians kept saying, like a broken record, "That's not what God intended, that's not what God intended. "

Amazing how much miserable bigoted inhuman stupidity there still is in this world, and how people go to great lengths to use God as an excuse to pimp their own hatred.
Honestly, you shouldn't be upset because all these people are doing is hyping the movie without even knowing it. Same thing happened with The Passion of the Christ. Before anyone even knew anything about the film, Jewish "authorities" were going on every news show imaginable to say the movie was anti-Semitic. What happened? The movie made a fortune.

This movie is not going to make anyone gay that isn't already gay, that's just ludicrous. And to spread hatred this way isn't what God would have intended either. Do these people want their children to grow up looking at homosexuals as less human or something? Do they want them to harbor anger and hatred toward them? Do they want their children possibly committing a hate crime against them (this brutal activity is depicted briefly in the film) and ending up in jail? Because that's all this sort of hate produces.

Here's my take on the Christian angle. Some, I'm sure, are more open. My mother is a heavy duty Christian and she went to the film with me when I saw it a second time and enjoyed it very much. In her eyes, it's a story. It's about humanity. It's about the way things are. There are gay people. Get used to it, and don't hate them...how hard is that? The position I think Christians should take is something like this... Does the Bible say homosexuality is wrong? Yes it does. But it doesn't condone all of this hatred. I say, if someone believes in God, they should let him do the judging. Brokeback Mountain is a very realistic, well told story about many things...two homosexual men most of all. That's just a part of the world, a story that rings true for many people. Christians shouldn't spread hate, they should spread acceptance and let God make the final judgement. Hatred here on earth gets nobody anywhere.