View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie
Default Ideas for future AG Community Playthroughs

Since our current Playthrough of Beneath a Steel Sky is getting almost to the end (only a couple more weeks!) I think it might be time to see what game people would want to play next. I was thinking of starting three different threads this time:

1. Commercial game thread.

Suggestions for this thread should be as follows:

1a. I'm going to define "commercial" as being any game that started out as only available through purchase. So, a game still only available through purchase counts, a game that once was for purchase but is now freeware counts, and a shareware game counts.

1b. Any games you suggest should either be fairly well-known (like Grim Fandango or Gabriel Knight 1) or should be not too hard to get one's hands on (like Sanitarium or Bad Mojo). The idea is to try to pick games that either a lot of people are likely to own already, or can get their hands on without too much fuss.

1c. For now, we'll stick to just graphic adventures. (Though I think most commercial text adventures would violate step 1b at this point anyway.)

1d. The game has to have some sort of definable "sections". For instance, I don't think Monkey Island 2 would work very well for the Playthrough thread format because there's a very long stretch of game where you can do things in almost any order, and thus, people playing the game might end up in very different spots from each other at a given time.

2. Myst-style commercial game thread.

As above, except that the game has to have Myst-style gameplay.

Note: The only Myst-style game I personally own is Lightbringer, and I can't buy any new games for the time being, so if another game is the popular choice, someone else will have to be the "thread manager" for that game. (That also goes if y'all want to play a non-Myst-like game I don't own, too. Sorry!) I'm OK with that, so don't keep from picking a different game just on my account.

3. "Amateur" game. (I'll post this in the relevant forum.)

3a. I'm defining this as any adventure game that is, or started out as, being freeware.

3b. No remakes! Yes, I know there are a few good remakes out there, even ones with a fair bit of original content (KQ2VGA, I bow down to you), but even then the discussion would end up being at least partially about the original commercial game, which I think would defeat most of the point. Suggesting fan sequels is fine, however.

3c. 1d above applies here, as well.

3d. It can be any type of game... Myst-style, point 'n click, text parser, whichever.

That's about it. Feel free to suggest as many (or as few, or none at all) games as you like for each thread idea, but try to put them in preference order (first preferred game, then second preferred game, etc.). Also, stick to only suggesting games for the computer (as opposed to consoles), since we already know it's highly likely that anyone who posts here owns a computer.

When the BaSS playthrough is done with, I'll go through, tally up everyone's suggestions in here, and see what everyone ends up wanting to play.

There is a second point to this particular thread as well... suggestions about the Playthrough thread format itself. Stuff you liked? Stuff you didn't like? Stuff you think we should (or shouldn't) do next time?

Anyway, my own personal suggestions:

Commercial games:

Gabriel Knight 1
Sanitarium
Grim Fandango

Myst-style games:

Well, Lightbringer by default.

Amateur games:

I have to be sheepish and admit that I haven't really played any indie games other than KQ1VGA, KQ2VGA, and SQ:TLC... I usually don't even have enough time to play any of the games I've purchased. So whatever we end up playing will be a totally new experience for me.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."