View Single Post
Old 01-16-2006, 07:53 AM   #41
Christian IV
Adventure Game Researcher

Thank you Simo, I was a bit taken aback by the anger
in some of the postings, but will try to understand that this is a public forum and discussion brings out many facesof us all.

Kwiksnax, the review by TimK was one of the reasons I opened this thread, I thought his discussion of the game did not do it justice and I felt uncomfortable over many of the things he said.....but I was not sure if that was just my own singular opinion so I thought to poll the community in a wider way...... I felt that some of his remarks were missing the good qualities of LJ.....I feel as a special sort of game, and adventure and journey, , LJ is not meant to provide a fast food version of visual and audio
satisfaction, it delves deep in the psyche, and the nature of reality, deeper than many of the many hundreds of games I have personally worked through from the past 25 years.... and it does not mean to try to tie up all the "loose ends, because the mystery is inherent and integral with the nature of true stories, they are open ended, and have many
branching paths that they can take. It sounds like Ragnar and the crew at FunCom are going to continue this trend with Dreamfall, and have more open path ing...Anyway, JimK's needless focus on April underclothing, and other comments made me realize that he was not the commentator that I would want to see as the only voice out here.....and that I was interested to see more thoughtful comments and thoughts from the community at large. I have always enjoyed and respected this forum and have found my expectations
more than met in the fine and interesting replies herein.

I am sorry about my half lines by the way, my computer has a small window and I dont like to see split lines end up in the final post either....they just seem to do that, from this old machine. Sorry about that.

I too had some trouble with the "sassy" nature of April's character and speech, and at times almost decided I could not take it anymore, for I certanly do not speak or think like her either. But I thought,
FunCom and Ragnar may have meant to try to create a characterwho would actually have a distinct and different personality and being, and also that would appeal to the threshold of people at a range of
ages that might be lost from the story otherwise. I confess I am still considering the game myself in retrospect and would not myself say that it is the greatest game ever, certanly, for there are
somewhat bare places in the story towards the end, where the development and fullness of the plot that is found at the start wavers and fades a bit. The meaning and the import of the final scenes is quite vast, yet I feel that some of the characters do
get lost and wonder what happens to April and what her choices are... I saw a review or a blurb about Dreamfall in which it says that Zoe goes for help from someone who is trapped in a world that is not
her own, which implies that April is "trapped" in Arcadia, or does it mean that she is back in Stark and wants to be back in Arcadia we will find out in the fall, now......

I have enjoyed very much the thoughtful replies to my humble postings, and will definitely take a look at Syberia. I confess the screen shots i have seen intrigue me, the mystery of the East and the vast and brooding nature of Russia have always interested me and so that will be a treat to experience.

Thanks again all, and I am sorry Junkface if some of my comments did not feel comfortable to you. I cannot ever really please myself in what I think and write, so i understand that I would certainly
not please many who read what I share. I hope you have a nice day today.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs

Last edited by Christian IV; 01-16-2006 at 10:05 AM.