View Single Post
Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 AM   #19
natalia
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Flux, I'm so sorry that happened to you! Random acts are scary because you feel like you can't predict how to protect yourself. But you can become more alert and more aware of your environment and that helps to protect you a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
EDIT: Just recalled another incident - I was driving home from work last year and a guy pulled up next to me at a stop sign and started screaming at me through the window that I was a bitch, cunt, etc. I have no idea what I may have done to him while we were driving that he thought was worth shouting at me over but it was very scary. I locked the car doors and just sat there at the stop sign until he drove away. (Thankfully no one behind me honked!) I was afraid if I drove at the same time he did (it was a two lane street), that he would hit my car with his. Another of those really weird, random events, but it had me freaked out for several days just replaying it in my head. People suck.
Urgh, something similar happened to me in college. I normally played it safe and wouldn't walk by myself at night through town alone if I could help it, and if I had to, I'd walk in well lighted areas. I didn't think I had to worry much about things during the day.

One afternoon I was walking to the store and a group of guys some obviously very drunk, and probably some fraternity guys walking home from a game, came walking in the opposite direction. I didn't think much of it and tried to walk past -- one of the guys slapped at my backside and called me a bunch of terrible names just out of the blue. I just froze and wanted to yell out, and I was hoping that some of his friends would call him out, but they all just started laughing. Even though it was the middle of the day and there were plenty of other people around, I felt so afraid and just started running off.

I called my then bf at the time and just started crying. I was crying because I felt so violated and helpless and angry that nobody did anything to help me.

It's sad because you realize you have to trust people a little less and be a lot more aware of your surroundings. I hope people don't get offended if I cross the street when a large group of guys passes, but it's the way that I try to avoid putting myself in the path of more random acts of violence.