View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #29
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
For example, the last AG I've played was Cahallan's Crosstime Saloon, and frankly, there's a world of difference between what both games made me experience.
I don't disagree with that (having played Callahan's, myself). And if Samorost 2 retailed for what Callahan's did, then I'm sure our review would have called it a charming little game, but WAY overpriced and hard to recommend to anybody.

But it isn't. It's a much smaller game with much more modest ambitions, and priced accordingly. And it achieves its goals wonderfully. And we have to judge it on that basis, not what we'd prefer in a full-priced game. To do less would be burying the game with our own bias without it having a chance.

Of course, we're running into the same problem we always do when focusing only on a score. There's a reason we write the reviews. We aren't saying Samorost 2 is "better" than any games scored lower. They're not competing against each other. How could they, when they offer such different experiences? We're just saying Samorost 2 is a brilliant little game that is well worth its price.