View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
wildcat

Looks like I really put the cat amongst the pigeons here

Saying why I gave the game 4 and 1/2 stars is a bit like repeating myself but I will explain. I agree the game lacks story and it lacks dialogue, I acknowledged this myself in the review. However, the puzzles, general feel while playing and atmosphere all made the game compulsive. You may say the puzzles are just clicking on the screen, but they aren't- clicking randomly on hotspots will only get you so far. The vast majority of puzzles are well thought out and in places quite inventive. Ignoring visuals for a second, I was really captivated by the gnome and his dog, the creatures you encounter and the thoughtfulness of the puzzles meant that it was always a surprise to see what came next. It wasn't predictable. Yes the game is very short, I can't deny that and I acknowledge that maybe some feel it isn't worth- I however think it is.

And lets face it, if you played the original and don't see the point or played the free part of the sequel and aren't intrigued, you don't have to pay for the next part. I just personally feel that it's worth it for the experience and that many adventure gamers will love it. Quality is the key factor here and I would much prefer a short game at this standard than 30+ hours of a rubbish game. I expect many people could also deried Another Code for being too short, but that didn't stop it from being an incredible little game.

Just so it's noted, this is the very first 4 and 1/2 I have ever given out in the reviews I have written so far and I thought very hard about it.