View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #29
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
Also, I find that love is also unlikely to last if it is pursued for selfish interests, i.e. so that I can be happy, avoid loneliness, etc.
Ah, there's my egoism-is-good reflex coming up...

In the brief experience I've had, spanning four and a half relationships, two and a half which are still lasting at this time, and the one mental relationship of love that was ripped from me without any warning at some point early in its development (thus is not listed in the count of the others), I would claim the reverse.

I made my first two relationships out of selflessness and rational appreciation. They made both me and my respective boyfriends very miserable. The others I've done out of egoism - and it was the selflessness of the respective other person that caused the fissure in the other one I mentioned outside the lot.

Especially my relationship with BoyToy is very, very selfish.

Though, given that, my opinion on what is commonly perceived on "egoism" is that it's not... because making enemies never benefits the self. But, eh... t'is another topic
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™