View Single Post
Old 01-06-2006, 10:23 AM   #22
Ariel Type
LA-S-LE

Jackal
It'm not talking about what Samorost tried to achieve and what didn't. I'm talking about how AG grade adventures. Actually, I think nobody will argue that there are two main standarts you rate and adventure game: story and puzzles. There might be more of this and less of that, or more of that and less of this, or 50/50, but both of them in sum should dominate above all other aspects.
What we have here is almost no story ("saving a dog and running away" is just a plane objective, like in any standart arcade game), almost no puzzles (the only thing you have to think about is clicking on hot spots in the right order, very often without logic involved). Add to this the short length of the game, no character development, no interactivity, no dialogs or inventory - just plain "move to the next beautiful screen by finding all hot spots" - and please explain what's so special about Samorost to rate it "4.5"

And about Fatman - well, it was a no-good adventure. But it was amateurish, it was a parody and it was actually a medium-lengh adventure game, with plot and puzzles. It is also not a full-priced adventure, and it gave an apportunity to try the first several locations, puzzles and a piece of story (and I even not talking about the "ripped" version that was put by authors for a free use after some time).
How Samorost 2 can be called "an all-time classics that every adventure gamer should experience" is beyond my understandment, sorry