View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #20
nikoniko
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie

Yes! That was my roommate's first quartet! The boggle-o-meter has just hit, like, 11! Wow! *hums "It's a Small World"*
Amazing! This six degrees of separation thing is really true! The only guy I knew from the group was Harrison, whom I first met at the little improv thing they had on campus. I wasn't still living in Mass at the time, but everytime I made it back up there (which was pretty often, since I tried to keep in touch with my friends), I'd check out the improv group and see if the Mental Notes were going to be playing anywhere. You can thank your friend for me, because after I came back home I got pretty involved in BBshopQ myself, and now I'm hoping to get something together in Japan. There's a few groups around, but none near me, so it's up to me to get one started! The Japanese love karaoke, so BBQ isn't that much of a stretch, I think.

Are there any recordings of them around? I remember for a while they had a webpage up, and I think there was a snippet on there... alas, I never saved it, so it would be great to hear them again.

Quote:
Though that quartet had a UMass Astronomy professor in it instead...
Hmm... my old boss at CVS shared a home in Northampton with a UMass Astronomy professor... I never made any sort of connection, but I wonder if he was the same guy. Any chance the professor's name was Eric?

Quote:
I guess it could be worse. You could encounter someone who says, "Hey, yeah, that's where Smith & Wesson is headquartered!"
I got that once, when I worked in Texas for a little while after graduation. After that, I stopped telling people I'd gone to school near Springfield.

Quote:
(Seriously, though, the most common response I tend to get is "Is that anywhere near Boston?" ;P )
Ah, Boston. Coming from the DC area, I never got used to the idea that people could eat and drink on the T (Boston's metro or subway system, for those not in the know who are reading this). And moreover, they sold the stuff at the stations! In DC, food and drink aren't allowed on the trains. My third most embarrassing life experience was being on my way to a job interview in Boston, taking the T from South Station to get there, and plopping down into the one unoccupied seat during rush hour. Unfortunately, while not being occupied by a person, it was occupied by a frosted chocolate doughnut! And of course, I was wearing khaki-colored pants. Thankfully, I was able to pop over to Filene's Basement department store real quick and buy a replacement, but ultimately I was late to the interview and didn't get the job.

Ah, Boston...

Cheers,
doroposo