View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:45 PM   #20
samIamsad
capsized.

To be honest, I had never heard of Ancel before I aquired a copy of Rayman 2 last Christmas (2004). Michael... WHO? Besides the marketing issues, maybe it's just... there's no "hook" to this game. The special something that grabs you and makes you want to buy this game RIGHT NOW!!!!1

Why should I buy this? Jackal and some others have tried to get into this before. They're telling you that you're playing some cute girl wearing green lipstick in a world that's full of whacky characters. Ho-hum, okay. So, what else!? And, honestly, I didn't bother with it for a long, long time, either. It's perhaps the same reasons why Grim Fandango (film Noir? Land of the dead? What the...?), Torment (HUH??) or Psychonauts (comic characters? running around in peoples minds? WTF?) didn't sell, while Fahrenheit (conspiracies, murders, blood. COOL!) or Kotor (OMG! Star Wurrrs! w00t, w00t!) did. It's difficult to sell something that doesn't sound immediately appealing, I guess. That said, I doubt it's impossible, but still. Truth be told, if I hadn't been fully aware of the fact that a certain other game had been the new game from Tim Schafer, (the man who brought me some of my favourite games of all time!!), I wouldn't have given a damn about that... Psychosomething either.

Quote:
I think many people discount the feeling you get from the physical aspect of 'exploration'.
I agree entirely.

Last edited by samIamsad; 01-02-2006 at 08:52 PM.