View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoG
...why is it that AGer's latched onto the game when it clearly has elements (two precisely) that AGer's dislike, though of course it has very strong elements that AGer's do like.
Quote:
Considering how disliked action is in AGer's minds, why was this more or less not an issue?
I think you're incorrectly categorizing (some/many) people as "AGers". There are lots of adventure gamers that can't handle or simply don't like action, period, and I don't think BG&E had any appeal for them whatsoever. But there are many others that play adventures without exclusively being AGers. I would say the vast majority of people on this board fall into that category.

From this group, it's not unusual to hear people complain about action in what is otherwise a "pure adventure". But that's not the same thing as disliking action entirely. That's more a case of "if I want an action/adventure, I'll play one. When I want an adventure, I don't want action in it, especially when the action usually sucks." Since BG&E quite clearly has a significant amount of action, people either reject it outright and say nothing, or accept and play it on those terms. So you won't get the same complaints as you would from the staunch AGers who THINK it's a pure adventure and find out it's got difficult action sequences, as we have with BS3 or Wanted or various other adventures.

I really don't think there's anything at all strange about people raving about one of the precious few story-driven, character-rich games to come to PC. And I don't think it's disproportionately inclined towards BG&E over others. Depending on tolerance for certain genres, we're the same people that enjoyed and talked about Outcast, Max Payne, KOTOR, Fahrenheit, etc.

Quote:
Wind Waker (only because I mentioned it above) does all this and more, yet there seems to be a solid consensus that BG&E is the game to talk about, but less so, Zelda. So there IS something about BG&E.
I suspect that "something" is nothing more than BG&E being multi-platform, including PC. I'm sure if as many people had Cubes as PC's or other consoles, Wind Waker would be just as highly discussed here.

For myself, who considers the SNES Zelda to be his favourite game of all time, I was sold on BG&E from the second I read "like Zelda". But I absolutely adored the stylized artistic design of the game, as well, which was evident immediately from the screenshots.