View Single Post
Old 12-24-2005, 12:57 PM   #18
nikoniko
Translate Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Those b--tards... You know, I could never get my store-purchased Still Life working on my PC because of StarForce, and finally had to crack it to play the game. My Sony DVD+/-R stopped working for doing burns the same time I installed Still Life. Half a dozen discs were wasted while troubleshooting, my weekly backup habit was interrupted, and the only thing which got the drive working again was a full reinstall of Windows XP.

If they didn't have the ridiculous requirement of being able to reproduce the problem on other machines, I would gladly take them up on this.

I will never buy a product with StarForce protection again. It is one thing to release a game that is not fully compatible with all systems - with all the variety of systems out there, it's impossible to guarantee that any complex software will run on all of them - but when the offending software is a protection mechanism that installs low-level drivers in the system software, without making it abundantly clear that it is doing so, that is abhorrent behavior which should be criminal.

These protection mechanisms only inconvenience legitimate buyers of software, since copyright law allows me to make one backup of any software I purchase. The pirates are not stopped at all: fully-cracked games are available on all the P2P networks within a day or two of release, regardless of the complexity of the protection.

Cheers (but jeers to StarForce),
doroposo