View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 05:27 AM   #16
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
Is there a minority which cares at all about telling a good story unhindered?
AFAIK, almost all games consist of bits of story in between bits of gameplay. I mean, in an FPS or a space shooter you get bits of story in between shooting things. In RPGs you get bits of story in between random encounters. And in adventures you get bits of story in between solving puzzles.

That being said, I could think of a couple games...

The text adventure A Mind Forever Voyaging consists mostly of exploring a futuristic society... there's only a handful of puzzles near the very end of the game. It's a very good SF story game, if you can find it (unfortunately I think you'll pretty much have to go the abandonware route, it's so old).

In fact, you might want to try the "amateur" IF scene in general... I've heard that focusing on story over puzzles seems to be the trend nowadays. Perhaps someone more familiar with IF could point you to specific games.

I'd also echo the recommendation of Sanitarium. In addition to having a very good story, I found the puzzles to be mostly straightforward and logical. (There are a few puzzles that are a bit more obtuse, but it's also quite obvious there's a puzzle.) Also each chapter is small and self-contained so any walking around needed is more tolerable.

I will admit that I have yet to find a (IMHO) completely well-designed adventure, though, where all the puzzles seem to spring naturally from what you'd need to do to advance the story, without any "filler" or spots where you need to know to "poke around" without clues.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."