View Single Post
Old 12-16-2005, 12:42 AM   #13
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

By the way, I have nothing against puzzle games either. If there were a game with a lot of clear puzzles separated by a thin bit of story, I think I'd like that. When I say "clear puzzles" I mean that all elements of the puzzle should be out in the open, as opposed to hidden with lots of irrelevant details. When it is clear that you're faced with a puzzle, and you see all the elements of that puzzle laid out, it can be very fun to figure out that puzzle. Zelda has many such puzzles, and I spend a long time figuring them out. On the other hand, when I don't even know that I've come across a puzzle, because the elements of the puzzle are so far apart and hard to find, then I can't possibly have any idea where to start!

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe the problem isn't me at all. I mean, this is just really really bad game design!

A puzzle game shouldn't focus much on setting the right mood, because it distracts from the puzzles. That is, unless these puzzles are so brilliant that they can be part of that mood... Hmmmm....

And a puzzle game should always make the player know that he's faced with a puzzle, as well as show him in the right direction. What kind of game assumes that the player is so obsessive?! It should just assume that the player will enjoy a good puzzle, and give that puzzle to him!