View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
But I digress. The real question is how to approach these games. Should I be reading a walkthrough from the start to spare myself the certain aggravation? Should I not use a walkthrough at all, but just wander around aimlessly for weeks of gameplay in the hopes that I'll stumble into it? Is there some simple principle these puzzles often use, which I just haven't learned? Or should I look for a different kind of adventure?
You should play them in whatever way you need to play them to have fun. If that means using a walkthrough, or getting a hint when you're stuck, so be it. If it means not forcing yourself to play a game you're not enjoying even though everyone else seems to worship it and AG gave it 5 stars, fine. There's no right way or wrong way.

I think it is true that people who have played a lot of adventure games find the standard puzzles to be easier, just because we've seen one variation or another of these puzzles many times. But if you're not having fun with a game, it's not because you're playing the game wrong. Trust your instincts. I forced myself to restart Planescape: Torment half a dozen times because everyone kept insisting to me that it was the best game ever, before I finally accepted that I just didn't like it.