View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:13 AM   #35
AudioSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Some have design flaws, but that doesn't necessarily make the game bad. Go play Bestowers of Eternity or Two of a Kind or 5 Days a Stranger and then tell me that all games have atrocious design.

As for commercial games being by their nature better, I disagree. It would, I believe, be pretty harsh of me to start slating commercial titles in the way that you've just dismissed every amateur game out of hand, but I can point to flaws in every single adventure game released in the past few years. Yes, I mean every single one. And this isn't be pretending to be big or clever, just pointing to problems that others would probably agree about. From crippling design flaws to minor quibbles, of course, but commercial titles are by no means the bastions of perfection that you're making them out to be.

And, why not take your comparison further than you have? Because, let's face it, every single adventure game released ever looks worse than, say, Unreal Tournament 2007. Even the ones in development.
No game currently in development looks as good as UT2007, but the greater visuals present in a commercial adventure title will only enhance my playing experience. I feel fan-made games, unless remakes, are a waste of time. I'd rather invest a few dollars in TLJ, gain the superior plot and technical giblets, than waste my time on a proletarian fan-game that relies on some shoddy old engine and is filled with badly written English and piss-poor dialogue.

Create a fan-game out of love, but don’t start flaunting it as the “next big thing”, because it’ll never top a truly great LucasArts adventure, or a super Sierra title. Why? Because the team is less dedicated (they won’t be making money of it), less experienced and wholly smaller. Yes, if you gather a large team together, as seems to be the case with KQ9, you have a chance of creating something half-decent, but it’ll likely never reach the ears of the mainstream and will fail at achieving any semblance of popularity.

Popular games are not necessarily good, and rich companies shouldn’t necessarily be bowed upon, but they have the resources, the money and the talent to pave the way for better, technically superior and more enjoyable games.