View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 01:43 AM   #16
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Well, JUST adding a link to a forum poll would be (relatively) easy enough. But having to follow a poll and update the review long after it's out is a pain in the butt for very little benefit. I'm also not convinced that a forum is a proper representation of the adventure community at large, so tying ourselves to a potentially skewed (albeit interesting) number isn't very appealing. At the very least, you'd need a minimum number of votes required for it to be of any benefit at all. Same problem with the second opinions, really. Until you're up into numbers where statistical averages start to matter, you could really just have two or three wildly divergent opinions with no overall relevance.
What about a system similar to the Home of the Underdogs, where you can grade a game in the "review" page, only one that would require a forum registration to avoid spam or multiple votes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Sure, and I understand that. But at some point, that kind of variety may indeed be better suited to the forums. Plenty of opinions here.
Well, you don't have to convince me of this. I, being the magnanimous being that I am, was more thinking about the uneducated masses, who come to this site to be enlightened.

Seriously, though, I've had the "duh?" reaction to some reviews, not in this site (not that I can remember, in any case), but in other very popular sites, and in some cases I found myself suffering for those poor souls who will buy, say, Rhem 2, expecting a very colourful and lively game. These people won't frequent forum, usually, and it might be useful to them to know what seasoned and "educated" (you get the idea) adventure gamers think.