View Single Post
Old 12-14-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
AudioSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
Maybe they would. Let's say you have a good writer, who wants to make an adventure game.

There's your problem. No game studio would let him make one! There's no other route than going independent. Besides, look at projects such as Rise of the Hidden Sun. The developer has been employed by the comics industry (if I remember correctly) but these days he does something different for a living (beats me what). He works on the game on his spare time.

And btw, I think this is pretty good art.

And this fangame (or to be more precise, amateur adventure game, as it's not a sequel to an existing franchise or anything) contains pretty good music. And other stuff is pretty good, too. It's better than half-decent at least.

Besides, you make it sound as if development studios are desperately hunting for workforce, promising them gold and diamonds for making games, but in fact, the workers are pretty much cattle. Baaa!
My point is that I have no reason to raise my hopes for a game that looks resolutely substandard based on the fact that it may contain some "good music", or some "good artwork". Games created by established companies push the boundaries of excellence by their sheer technical abilities. Adventure games are in the shit-creek they are because few wish to play titles that are as technically deficient, idea-defunct and inanely boring as the titles we're fished at irregularly intervals. Yes, there are smatterings of good ideas lodged underneath terrible voice-work, shoddy animations and laugh-inducing music. Adventure titles will only succeed if they stand firmly in the sands of comedy, or break barriers with innovative intent: Indigo Prophecy, for instance.

And, like a friend of mine pointed out, people are disinterested in this genre – fangame or not – because gameplay portions are buried in horribly contrived and badly conceived plots that sap at your enjoyment of things. I await Dreamfall with interest.