View Single Post
Old 12-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
SoccerDude28
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethsez
I still don't understand the argument that better technology takes away a developer's ability to be artistic (and there's more to an art style than just "realistic or cartoony"... Call of Duty and Project Gotham Racing both attempt to look realistic but they still have very different aesthetics, for obvious reasons). There's no reason for advanced hardware to limit a developer's artistic possibilities.

As for animation and such, I agree that there's still a lack of polish thus far. However, we need to remember that the "next generation" is still quite new, and we're currently seeing products rushed to make release.
Well I think the problem is that it is way too expensive to build games for these platforms, so developers have to fall onto third party middleware like the Unreal Engine. When every game is being developed using the same engine, they would tend to look alike.

Another point is what Tanukitsune just said. The push for graphics as a seller, puts more emphasis on looking realistic than it does on being artistic.

Firefox rules