View Single Post
Old 12-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #59
samIamsad
capsized.

This is going to be a little bit off-topic (but really only a little bit, if at all). I've got the feeling this might (or might not - decide for yourself!) even fit in here. Somehow...

Question: Has anybody ever tried to challenge the definition of the term video game? We're playing Pac Man over and over again, after all. I know what you're thinking now: "This guy is nuts." Of course I am (and proud of it). But that's not the thing. The thing is: Ever since the first arcade games, there has been this very specific formula that still applies to all kinds of games 'till today. From Pong to Half Life, from Super Mario to Guybrush Threepwood. There's a goal to reach in each game (top of the highscore list, next level, ..). There are obstacles to overcome (enemies, puzzles, whatever). And there's some form of gratification that helps to get you hooked, sometimes even terribly, terribly addicted to the game (like points, new worlds, new characters...). Anyway, perhaps somebody is actually getting what I'm trying to get at here. It's a winning formula, of course, because it's (probably) the (let's call it just that now) maximum_fun formula. It's like those verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus formulas for cheesy pop songs - easy to grasp and just plain, old fun (if they're used to create something interesting, at least). Wash, rinse, repeat 'til game over, and voilá, a video game. Sure, people have been playing around with the variables (like the level of difficulty, kind of challenges etc.), but at its most basic, every video game still comes in the same form.

So, back to my question: Does anybody know of a game (commercial or not) that truly tried to challenge the term video game? Grabbed that formula by its balls, twisted and turned it a bit around? I'm sure this sounds a little off and theoretical... but does a video game have to be about (instant or not so instant) fun per definition? And even if it does, couldn't it be that there is a better formula that just hasn't been discovered yet, because... oh, crap. I'll stop. But if anyobdy knows of such a video game (would it be still a video game?), let me know.

Last edited by samIamsad; 12-08-2005 at 07:10 AM.