View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 06:51 AM   #673
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Good grief, this thread exploded again. I must say, murderhouse I think your method of telling people to watch their backs is a bit odd, but if that's just the way you like to joke, then ok... But squarejaw is right about the condescension thing. If you feel so strongly about this stuff, your opinions should be like those revealed in political debates. You know, you ACT civil and respectful of the other person, but inside you are secretly thinking, "Who is this dumb f*** running for office against me?!" My opinions on movies are as strong as anyone's and I tend to want to condescend for whatever reason, but I try my best not too. I still come off as a "film snob", but I don't call other people's opinions dumb. Well, not usually anyway...

By the way, a good tactic to use is the "guilty pleasure" tactic. That's what I call it anyhow. It's where you basically say, "Well, if you like that movie, that's cool. I like Blade II, for instance, but I wouldn't call it a great film. It's a guilty pleasure." You need to convince them, or at least try to convince them, that they are confusing greatness with a "guilty pleasure". That's usually the case when someone salivates over a brand new Hollywood picture anyhow... Ok, that's my tip for the day.

Last edited by Once A Villain; 12-04-2005 at 06:58 AM.