View Single Post
Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 AM   #649
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

I've yet to see Madagascar. I rather enjoyed Robots, oddly as not many people did (then again, I was probably looking for different things than another audience member), only thing is this whole snappy comedy thing that American studios seem to be favouring right now is really wearing thin on me. Animation CAN be used for other things, but no... every 3D animation has a script that's rapped out at 100mph these days.

Sky Blue

I bought the Sky Blue 2-disc SE a week back and watched it yesterday. For any animation that has some kind of depth to it, I look to the east. Whilst Sky Blue had some incredibly cliché characters and sudden, awkward plot twists, at least it invested even the comedy characters with humanity. Plus I actually got really emotional towards the end.

It also has some interesting use of models, CG, 2D and even video - which works in its favour. Some of the sequences aren't as well animated as others, occasionally the direction gets a bit sloppy, but other than that a much better film than I'd anticipated with some utterly beautiful scenes and great ideas. The soundtrack is also quite pretty, and unlike a more typical Japanese Animé this Korean animation, although heavily inspired by japanimation, is actually more focussed on the drama than any heavy-handed action.

Worth a try if you're after an animation that doesn't rely on stock comedy.