View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz
Default Top tip for anyone annoyed by ads

I have a shockingly slow computer, so Flash-y banner ads aren't just annoying in themselves, they're annoying because they slow my computer to a crawl. I don't mind normal ads - they make money for the originating web site after all - but Flash ads annoy the piss out of me.

Imagine my surprise when I found a way of getting rid of Flash ads - in Internet Explorer! Microsoft must have added this in XP SP2, because I've never seen it before. Anyway, it's great.

Go to the Tools menu and choose "Manage Add-Ons". From there, just choose "Shockwave Flash Object" and click Disable. Simple!

'Course, you'll have to re-enable it when you actually want Flash. A better solution is to use the "FlashBlock" plugin with Firefox, but for those too lazy to make the switch or who just prefer good old Internet Exploder, this works fine. The ad hounds can even tell you've done it (somehow!), and you get animated GIF versions of the ads instead - so the site you're on doesn't lose out.

Hope someone finds this useful, anyway. It's revolutionised my AG forums experience!