View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 03:42 AM   #18
samIamsad
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
You mean it was made in under 12 months? Where did you read that? Baldur's gate was released at the end of 1998 and BG2 came out middle of 2000, even if they never started on the sequel until the original was on shelves (which never happens, usually preliminary stuff for the sequel is already underway) thats almost 2 years. They took another year to release the very small throne of bhaal expansion.

They began work on Shadows of Amn after Tales Of The Sword Coast got released (April '99). Baldur's Gate 2 shipped in September 2000, AFAIK. That's more than a year, but still.. incredible. But it really was a lucky shot for them (sort of)..

Quote:
What was it like to be a part of the Baldur's Gate II development team and how have things changed at BioWare since then? Any fond memories you can share with us?

James: I have two primary memories burned into my mind from the Baldur’s Gate days. The first memory is the horror of crunch time. Shadows of Amn was an enormous game with so many plots, characters, items, spells, places, etc., that it took a lot of work and passion to get that beast out the door. That leads to the second memory: creative fulfillment. I think the stars aligned for Baldur’s Gate II in a way that they probably won’t again. We had a finished engine that allowed us to focus on content rather than basic functionality. We had enough staff familiar with the engine that we could iterate content very quickly. We shipped it at a good time, shortly before the Christmas shopping season. Our system requirements were low, and a lot of basic machines could run it when they couldn’t run the latest 3D marvel. It was a good environment for getting content into a game, as the result has shown.
(http://www.gamebanshee.com/interview...nniversary.php)

Quote:
I hope NWN2 helps Obsidian recover from the (misdirected) bad gamer cred they've garnered from Kotor 2. I'd also prefer to see them tackle their own IP but it won't happen unless they get a couple of great releases out the door.
I don't think there's much to worry about. With a staff like this and all..