View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Baldur's Gate 2 was made in about the same time.
You mean it was made in under 12 months? Where did you read that? Baldur's gate was released at the end of 1998 and BG2 came out middle of 2000, even if they never started on the sequel until the original was on shelves (which never happens, usually preliminary stuff for the sequel is already underway) thats almost 2 years. They took another year to release the very small throne of bhaal expansion.

Also, BG2 wasn't using the restrictive star wars universe (WOTC while bastards, aren't so fussed with how the D&D system is implemented in crpgs, so long as the money keeps flowing). With the star wars IP, Every bloody change to the story etc has to go through lucasarts for approval. Tedious.

There's some clever additions in Sith Lords, I felt there was lots of little things done better than the original, it just didn't have the polish of its predecessor. Another 6 months might have done wonders, or seen Obsidian go under.

Kotor was a rather simple game at its heart, Sith lords (to me) tried to make the world a little more hands on/realistic. Its a shame the ending was so noticeably rushed. People still rag on Obsidian not just for releasing it as it is, but for not patching/fixing the story. They can't due to the lucasarts license agreement.

I hope NWN2 helps Obsidian recover from the (misdirected) bad gamer cred they've garnered from Kotor 2. I'd also prefer to see them tackle their own IP but it won't happen unless they get a couple of great releases out the door.