Thread: KQIII review
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 02:10 PM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I'm not sure what is your definition of "real time gameplay" here. GK3's timer only moves forward after the player completes certain actions.
True, but there are things within each timeblock that happen in real-time. The guests walk around the hotel, make phone calls, etc., independent of what Gabe or Grace are doing. There are some sections where you miss an opportunity to eavesdrop or converse with someone because they've already left the area by the time you get there, based on real-time gameplay, not on triggers.

Aurebesh, whether it was only sent out as a replacement for the SCI version or was available on the shelves for a very short time, it doesn't really change my opinion. The AGI and SCI versions of KQ4 were developed at the same time, with the intention being only to make the AGI version available to those who could not play the SCI version. When it became clear that the SCI version was working for most people, the AGI version was discontinued. Knowing that Sierra's top priority was the SCI version, I personally don't put much stock in the AGI version as an "official" release. Yeah, it's a neat relic, but for all intents and purposes, when people think of the AGI games in the KQ series, they think of the first three games. KQ4 is a different beast entirely. Not that any of this really has anything to do with the KQ3 review.