Thread: KQIII review
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2005, 12:47 AM   #3
reno6
Hoopy frood

I have to say, I admire your restraint in talking about the frustration of the cliff-climbing. If I were writing the review, it would have gone something like "The most frustrating part of the game was the, the frustration, uh, in, well see it was frustrating because... be...because... AUUUAUGHHGUHG STUPID STUPID CLIMBING SEQUENCES GARRAAAAAHHHH I HATE AUUUUUUGGHAIEHGGGYHHHHHH. PERIOD."

The path to and from Manannan's bastion wasn't so hard, but I was tormented by those mountain sequences at the end. Why would you ruin a perfectly good adventure game with a sequence that requires bafflingly stupid dexterity? It was far too easy to fall off -- you didn't even have to touch an edge, just go near it, and poor Alex goes tumbling to his death.

Otherwise, I agree with the review. I wasn't particularly fond of the timed sequences or the entire ingredient-gathering part in the first half of the game, but it was still a fun adventure, and as I said (and you said), AGI never looked better.

I would also like to point out, though -- you briefly mentioned this in your review, but I feel it warrants a closer look -- the fact that some copies of the manual actually have misprints in the spell incantations. Man, this burned me up. For example, in the 15th Anniversary Collection, which I have, the manual completely fails to point out which spell is on which page. I made a fool of myself asking a friend how to get to the spells in the spellbook because I wasn't aware there were page numbers. "Look in book," "Read book," "Turn page," nothing worked. I thought I was going insane. I remember hearing about other misprints in different editions, too. While no fault of the game itself, it would have helped for the whole spell bit to not be as strict as it was.

I wouldn't put KQ3 high on my list of favorites in the series, but then again, King's Quest isn't really my bag to begin with, and few of the games really appeal to me. I'm more of a Space Quest guy. I'd write reviews for those suckers any day of the week.