View Single Post
Old 11-24-2005, 01:43 AM   #50
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
Since Oblivion will be out for the PC, is it really worth buying a console just to play it?
Yes. You forget that some of us prefer to game on consoles, or both PC and console. For me, Oblivion is not just one game, but the game that'll introduce me to the next gen console gaming lifestyle. And yeah, with upcoming titles like Alan Wake, Test Drive Unlimited, Bioware's Mass Effect, and all the other as of yet unknown titles I'll want in the next several years, do you honestly think I want the rig just for one game?

Quote:
Of course, that's assuming you've got what it takes to run it on your PC, so to speak, which I doubt.
The operative word here is 'choice'. My PC right now is an 'ancient' Athlon desktop with a GeForce4 Ti card. It can run games, but not anything from the past 2-3 years that's graphically demanding. But even if it were the latest rig I'd still consider Oblivion for Xbox 360, mainly because of how relaxing it is to game on the console while lounging on the sofa.

But as is the case in my life now, I've decided to get a notebook to replace my old desktop. This is because I use a PC for things other than, and in addition to, gaming - my writing, online research, etc. etc. - so that I'm not hard pressed to find the most bleeding edge hardware. And with a notebook I can go to the nearest wi-fi cafe and do work, and still have the luxury of taking a break to play some No One Lives Forever 2 deathmatch online. I want it to be that I'll get to play some relatively recent PC games on it.

That said, the 360, I've decided, will be my primary gaming rig from then on. Because it's so powerful, and because there's none of the annoying shit you'd have to deal with PC games (compatability, outdated hardware, etc.), I can simply plop down on the sofa, pick up the controller, and jump right in. And my notebook will be right next to me in case I wanna say hi to you in the forums.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien