View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
Kurufinwe

You may have trouble running later DOS games under DOSBox with your config, which may explain that the sound stutters. Still, see my two posts there for tips on speeding up DOSBox.

Now, if you're really going to build an old DOS computer: good luck, you'll need it. I'd advise you to try and find an early Pentium (90-133 MHz); those usually have ways in the BIOS to disable turbo and/or the system cache; by using those options, you can make your machine as fast as an early Pentium or as slow as a 386 (and anything in between) without having to resort to MoSlo or something equally ugly.

The big problem will be the sound. This is when you'll really start regretting DOSBox. I think the ideal config is this:
- SB16 for AdLib FM synthesis and digital audio, up to 16-bit samples
- Sound Canvas or SCC for high quality General MIDI
- MT-32 or LAPC-1 for MT-32 music (a must for older games)
The SC and MT-32 are external modules, whereas SCC and LAPC-1 are cards; the best is probably to get one as a card and use its MIDI port to plug the other (as a module). Roland also made a card (or was it a module?) that included both MT-32 and GM, but I can't remember how it was called (and it's very rare anyway).
Stay away from the Gravis Ultrasound (good quality, but endless compatibility troubles), and basically anything not from Roland or Creative Labs.

And you'll have to get, some way or another, a fantastic programme called QEMM, which is an absolute must to avoid memory problems under DOS.

Once again: good luck!
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 11-16-2005 at 02:52 PM.