View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
Kolzig
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

http://pc.ign.com/articles/667/667256p1.html

Quote:
By not randomly splicing snippets of the movie into the action, Michel Ancel's team at Ubi Montpellier has managed to deliver a powerful, complete and very cohesive experience. Unrivaled immersion is not ever diminished by nagging HUDs, unwanted inventory screens, or nonsensical dialog prompts either. Skull Island is a world the player explores and completely falls into. Because of this, King Kong the game offers an interactive narrative that never breaks. Like an aged storyteller, King Kong has captivated us with a believable universe we cannot involuntarily escape by being repeatedly reminded of just how gamey the game we're playing is. Instead we strive to survive, explore, conquer, rescue and believe...

...Stories are why we read books, watch television, frequent theaters, and sit around campfires. Why can't they also be why we play games? We want adventures, characters, people, success in the face of adversity, accomplishment despite strife... We don't watch TV for the best use of lighting, nor do we read entire series of fiction for proper semicolon placement. So thank goodness! Game developers are finally realizing just how powerful well told stories can be in games. Ubisoft is telling us a story. In Kong there are no carelessly strung together clips of cutscenes crammed in for the sake of being crammed in. King Kong also doesn't feature random gameplay the 8-bit generation convinced us all we needed. It's a game designed to tell a story and because of that it's thrilling -- it makes us believe.
O wow!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.