View Single Post
Old 11-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #32
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I'm not saying that people aren't entitled to like the advert - I've never said that I disliked the water balloon fight - and I'm not saying that you can't read a metaphor into it. But I could have established the Xbox brand by flashing the Xbox logo up on screen for a minute.
The logo did flash briefly. At the end of the commercial.

Also, did the fact that you think this concept wasn't effective for you have something to do with your being a hardcore gamer, thus possibly having a preconceived idea of what would influence you based on your gaming experience and culture? Do you think there should be specific ways to make a game console advertisement? If so who is the target by using those specific ways and why do you think they'd respond to it (i.e., go out and buy an Xbox 360 or at least investigate it)?

What would a more valid, effective ad campaign be, do you think? One that doesn't focus on emotions and the concept of play as a fundamentally human trait (like this one did)?

Quote:
Anyway, now that everyone is simply telling me that my beliefs are 100 per cent wrong, I'll simply shut up on the matter. Personally, though, I don't consider this to be a great advert.
No one ever told you what your beliefs were. I certainly never did; I simply tried to explain the ideas behind the commercial and why it was conceived as such because I thought you may not have understood it. Sorry if I was off, then.

But why, then, don't you think this ad isn't great? You touched on the generic pandering to people's emotions (that in the very same commercial Xbox could be replaced with Pringles chips or another brand), but many of the best ad campaigns in the past have done precisely that - Coca Cola, Apple, Calvin Klein, Infiniti cars, and United Airlines, to name a few. What would be a great Xbox ad to you that could be conceived only for Xbox?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien