View Single Post
Old 11-11-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Default Celine Dion could seriously screw up your PC

I never did like her much in the first place.

Viruses Exploit Sony CD Copy-Protection | Yahoo News, Thu Nov 10, 5:54 PM ET

Quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif. - A controversial copy-protection program that automatically installs when some Sony BMG audio CDs are played on personal computers is now being exploited by malicious software that takes advantage of the antipiracy technology's ability to hide files.

The Trojan horse programs — three have so far been identified by antivirus companies — are named so as to trigger the cloaking feature of Sony's XCP2 antipiracy technology. By piggybacking on that function, the malicious programs can enter undetected, security experts said Thursday.

...Manual attempts to remove the software can disable the PC's CD drive. Sony offers an uninstallation program, but consumers must request it by filling out two forms on the Internet.

...The viruses also only target Windows-based machines.

...Sony also is facing legal headaches. On Nov. 1, Alexander Guevara filed suit in Los Angeles County Superior Court seeking class action staus. He claims Sony's actions constituted fraud, false advertising, trespass and violated state and federal laws barring malware and computer tampering.

"You can't uninstall it, you can't find it, and it's vastly more invasive in terms of privacy and personal property than any other (digital rights management) program to date"....
A similar story runs on BBC News.

Evidently Sony are being spineless wimps and not returning phone calls from press about this at the moment. They did release a patch that can show the files cloaked by the software, but that patch cannot remove it.

Reminds me a bit of Starforce. I seriously believe Starforce permanently f#&ked up both my cd and DVD drives.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien