View Single Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #84
feminista

Well, I'm an advocate of the action/adventure genre, and I think some of today's finest games come from that genre, but I certainly am not looking for any action in the middle of my point-and-click. I'd like to see more action/adventures with the same character-oriented stories and clever dialogue that our holy genre is the undisputed monarch of, and I would also like to see more point-and-clicks, but I see no reason to combine the two.

Beyond Good and Evil is of course the best recent example of a great action/adventure that incorporates a lot of adventure elements, but it is far from a point-and-click. I think this sort of thing ought to be encouraged, and it has succeeded in other cases as well (Primal for one, and also Psychonauts, which, while distinctly a platformer, still has everything I love about Schafer games).

Modern gaming is frequently lacking in wit, classic characters, and good dialogue. These things other genres should borrow from adventures, but adventures already have them, and really need not change at all, except making the experience smoother (more interfaces like Curse of Monkey Island, less like Grim Fandango or earlier titles with twelve different actions). Pointing and clicking has never been complex, and it needn't be, because adventures are about exploring and conversing and discovering, not jumping and running and hitting things with sticks.

So I'd say if any action-oriented genre wants to use adventure elements, they most certainly should, but the reverse is not true.