Thread: Myst V review
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #14
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
I understand the significance of it all, but my point is that even in the screenshots, which are devoid of these little touches by definition, the game looks less compelling that eg. Fahrenheit (IMO),...
Wait a minute. What criteria are you using to compare the 'compelling-ness' of each game? How is Fahrenheit more 'compelling' than Myst V? By what standard? And is this standard usable for any other kind of game or should be it be exclusive to these two titles?

Quote:
which leads to the conclusion that the graphics itself may be not that good as well (again, obviously, IMO).
Well, imo, Fahrenheit has lousy graphics quality compared to, say, Splinter Cell: CT or Half-Life 2. That the graphics quality must have been decidedly considered further down the list of priorties most likely has to do with where the beef of the game was focused on by David Cage - i.e., the story, character development, and the overall quality of the experience, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY making the game accessible by as many people as possible. Which meant that the PS2 is the common denominator of all platform versions of the game (more people own a PS2 than an Xbox and a top of the line PC).

It's definitely possible to scale up the graphics to the quality of HL2 or SC:CT, but Cage and Atari must have thought the number of potential audience would be severely cut down.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien