Thread: Myst V review
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #11
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
I'm guessing this 'living world' feeling has more do to with any little attention paid to such things as idle animations (leaves falling, water rippling, birds and other animals, rain, snow, etc.) than to the quality of the graphics itself. Basically, things that many 3D games of other genres (KOTOR, Morrowind, Psychonauts, etc.) automatically have.
I'm not sure. I must say that Myst V look doesn't appeal to me at all even in the screenshots, although I can't put my finger on why. I think it might be emptiness. Not a sense of solitude or desolation, because it would be something I actually expect from Mystian ages, but emptiness - too wide spaces with sparse varieties (none of them too exciting or eye-catching anyway) added almost as an afterthought. A typical worn-out, and seen in countless movies, diner from the beginning of Fahrenheit, seems to have much more going for it in terms of art direction than this.

And the comment that KOTOR, Morrowind and Psychonauts feature idle animations etc. "automatically" sounds kind of degrading to their developers who spent months of their lives on implementing it. But I suppose that's not how you meant it.