View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 04:57 PM   #16
reno6
Hoopy frood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
As for reno6, I can't say that I agree with your logic. If you're going to change the settings, villains, story and puzzles, why keep Roger? He's not your character. If you're going to strip a story down to one element and hold on to that, I can't help but to wonder what the point is. To agree with Melancholick, I'm more excited about the prospect of exploring something new. It's always more fun when you don't know what's around the corner. I know Roger Wilco. I know him all too well and I love him. I love his journeys, but they're not yours to tell. And I'm not saying that from a legal point of view. I'm saying that from a creative/artistic point of view.

The great artists and storytellers of the world forge their own path. They don't simply re-frame what's been done.
Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from. What I'm trying to say is, it's not being a total rip-off just because it re-uses the name and a character or two. Many sequels venture into new areas with new villains without linking much to the previous games. King's Quest 5 featured King Graham wandering around a previously unseen Daventry, chasing after a brand new villain who only had a little relevance to an older villain in his motivation. Everything else in the game was original and new. You could play it without ever seeing a previous KQ game. Same for King's Quest 6; they took Alexander, then sent him off to an entirely different land with nothing at all to hold him to the rest of the series except his name and ring. These are still sequels and entries in the series, but neither game used much content from previous entries and instead told its own story. They, as you put it, only held on to a small element of the rest of the series, but sculpted new worlds and stories around these elements. And these are just two examples.

That's what I'm saying about fan-made games. You can take a single element or two and still make a wholly original experience. You're not necessarily ripping off somebody else's idea, you're simply expanding with your own creativity and putting your spin on the theme. It's the same as in an original game, except with an established character.