View Single Post
Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 AM   #11
cardician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Cardician - my understanding of the criminal profiler (based on what we heard from Legacy at E3) is that it is intended to simplify the warrant process. A lot of people (myself included) had a very hard time coming up with exactly the right evidence to get a warrant in Justice Is Served, and Legacy was trying to address players' complaints by using a different interface this time. Sounds like it isn't entirely successful, which is too bad, but I do give them props for actually trying to improve upon what a lot of people considered a flaw in the previous game.
Ok, I can comment on this having played the previous one. I did not realize this fact. First, I agree, in the previous game it was definitely hard as anything to figure out *exactly* what evidence to submit for the warrant. The thing is, obtaining a warrant doesn't even work that way in this game. Once you've obtained all the necessary evidence, all you do is talk to the captain and he'll give you one. That's it. As for the criminal profiler, all you do there is literally submit everything in your inventory and hit analyze. Wait a few seconds and then it either tells you that the piece of data is irrelevant or it gives you some psychological description of the object. Like a cigarette stub will evaluate to evidence that the killer was nervous due to chain smoking. That's great. That means what to me? Especially considering I already know its Mr. X that killed the person and have the evidence to prove it? Since all I have to do is talk to the captain, what purpose does it serve.

Seriously, thanks to your explanation I now understand where they were coming from. But really all the profiler does is come across as an unecessary step that they want you to take because it sheds some psychological info on the killer. I think this is because this particular Law & Order show must be more psychologically based? I don't know because I've never seen it. But really, you don't need to know any of that and it really doesn't play into the game at all. The game is identical the the last game in that you find evidence, it leads you somewhere, and you keep going until you have proof of who killed the person. The psychological aspect, other than this profiler, does not come into play at all. It's not like knowing that the perp is nervous actually plays into the game at all. So what purpose does it serve? That's my biggest gripe with that aspect of the game. While now I get what they were going for, it really only ends up feeling like a useless and unecessary step the developers added in for no real reason or added value. As you said, its too bad. Though really until some patches are released, the whole game is just one "too bad" after another.

And while I wouldn't have originally thought this company should go out of business, this game is a huge example of what is wrong with today's game industry on the PCs. Release it now and patch it later. Ridiculous.