View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #31
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Well, like I said, it's been too long for me to remember precisely what I didn't like. I did admire the whole "living world" thing, but the novelty quickly wore off since most of it is cosmetic, and I just found the whole experience plodding and cumbersome.

As for the action sequences, nowhere did I say they were tacky and aimless or anything of the sort. I only said they were done poorly. And they were done so poorly they weren't "fused" into the game seamlessly as they should have been. It was like a sudden and abrupt change to a whole different gamestyle tacked on for variety. Lots of other games have tried to mash genres together (often equally clumsily and unsuccessfully), so there's nothing new there. The only difference with Omikron was that it tried to do it with several. I don't find that particularly ballsy, but even so, my enjoyment level has nothing to do with the size of the developer's cojones. They still need to do it right. And Omikron didn't, from where I was sitting. This was a pretty common reaction among reviewers at the time, so what I'm saying shouldn't come as that big a surprise. If you acknowledge you needed to accept the game's flaws, then it should be easy to understand the opposite reaction.

So... yeah. Good concept, commendable ambition, but uneven execution that really hurt the first two.