View Single Post
Old 11-29-2003, 04:19 AM   #52
Henke
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycroft
Hmm...
I don't want to get in an argument with a guy who calls himself Headbanger and frequents concerts as often as you do.
You probably know more about music than I ever will.
But...How exactly is Pantera responsible for the death of American Metal ?As far as I know American Metal has been dead a long,long time.Hell,I can't even think of an American Metal band right now to strengthen my point.Maybe Slayer or Judas Priest.These are two American Metal bands that I actually liked that I can remember.Err..can you name a few good American Metal bands.So that I may check 'em out.Do you consider Megadeth as metal ?

Most metal bands I listen to are European.Belonging to the Nordic region mainly.Therion,for example.America stopped making Metal a long time ago.It is now overrun by friggin' Alternative bands(I refer to them as 'kids with guitars').And don't even get me started on hip-hop and rap and reggae.

Let us see how many people I manage to annoy with this post.

And Henke...observe the last few posts to see what I meant by a debate over a conflict of musical tastes.This thread might just get hot.
Well there was more discussion about how we feel about different music in this thread then in the ones I were talking about.

I actually believe that one of the best metalgenres ever comes from America. Thrash metal was created in the 80s and in the front row were truly great bands like Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, Slayer and Anthrax among others. They combined the new wave of brittish heavy metal (like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest) with american punkmusic (like Ramones, Black Flag and Misfits), all in the vein of Motorhead. Then the genre evolved after a while when it came over here. It slightly evolved the same way in the states (with bands like Cannibal Corpse) but somewhere there something went very wrong (IMHO that is ). A newer thrash metal band called Pantera started to take the music in another direction then its roots (which was the other way around what the new nordic bands was playing). They released a record that became popular in America, the major record companies decided that this is what we're going to sell to kids as the "new metal" (MTV!!!). Now, almost every band that comes from the states must sound like that (and it is really far from having any of the keyelements that metal was built around in the start). So I think that metal is dead and buried in the states. Hopefully it will rise again some day.

Still there is of course nothing wrong about liking new american bands (and Pantera) but to call them metal is a little wrong IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappapisshu
Why? I never quite understood the purpose of hating an entire genre. I don't like the thought of limiting myself within music. There's good stuff in all different directions. You just need to find it.
Well this list was suppose to contain the best rock albums so to have a rap album there would be kind of weird.

I completely agree with you that you must be open minded and try listening to all kind of music otherwise you will miss something. But I must also say that I like bands and artist from many different genres but rap/hip hop is the genre(s) that I understand the least about. In my ears it feels like it is the opposite of what it's trying to be. Which make it sounds pretty stupid and laughable. But then again, the problem probably lies more in me then in the music.

Last edited by Henke; 11-29-2003 at 04:26 AM.